Many have been asking if these simple recipes are available on my blog. Though I don’t feel they require recipes, I decided to start a series for Simple Meals showing which flavours work with each other. This one is a very green udon noodles post with plenty of vegetables, great for a meat-free Monday. Thios isn’t an exact recipe, you can play around with it
Greens in a mushroom broth with Udon noodles
- Cooking oil for braising
- A mushroom broth (onion, garlic and 6 dried shiitake mushrooms)
- a handful of black peppercorns
- 1/2 C rice wine/sherry
- A variety of mild flavoured vegetables
- A packet of udon noodles (purchase them in packets from your local Asian supermarket)
Use one pot for all of this.
- Soak the dried shiitake in 1L of warm water until mushrooms are soft
- Meanwhile braise an onion with some garlic in a cooking oil, add the peppercorns.
- Glaze the surface with the rice wine/sherry.
- Add the liquid from the soaked mushrooms
- Let it simmer for 1/2 hour (the longer it simmers the more fragrant the soup).
- Cook the vegetables that take long to cook through (daikon in this image, you can also used turnip/radish).
- Blanch the rest of the vegetables(edamame, Chinese cabbage)
- Heat the noodles up in the broth.
- Garnish with spring onion and grated broccoli before serving.