Bitterballen isn’t quick, but if you make them (recipe here) and have them frozen ready for rainy days (or buy them frozen) this can be a quick and simple meal.
Kyle’s heritage is Dutch and one of his favourite Dutch snacks is bitterballen, they’re a fried gooey beef ragout meatball, coated in breadcrumbs. So this year for his birthday meal, I made Bitterballen Hotdogs… well they’re more like subs since I used half French loafs.
Bitterballen and a dill gherkin slaw Hotdog
Requires 20 minutes | Serves 2
- 6 Bitterballen
- 1 small French loaf
- Half a carrot (grated)
- A handful of shredded cabbage
- 4 dill gherkins
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise (add to taste)
- Some salt for seasong
- Handful of flatleaf parsely
- Slice your loaf from above and butter it.
- Prep your slaw, add mayo and salt to taste.
- Put it all together, serve with mustard and chopped parsley.